Tuesday, 29 April 2014

An experience in Functional Integration

A 1 to 1 session with Jenny Coogan

I was so lucky to have a chance to have a 1 to 1 Feldenkrais Functional Integration session with Jenny Coogan. As a big part of my dissertation was investigating the Feldenkrais method and its forms, it was very beneficial for me to physically experience this particular form of the method. The main focuses were on the release of my lower back and the back of my neck. After a short discussion about the specificity of the tensions I held, a completely silent hands on work followed. This way I had a chance to experience the power of letting go and giving in into somebody else's hands as well as enhance my senses in order to achieve the release of the held pain in order to improve my movement performance by allowing me to move just a little bit easier. I had a chance to process and notice the changes happening without any verbal instructions given. It was absolutely amazing, after an hour's session, I felt so lengthened and such a release in my neck, it felt like there was so much space made within my spine, and between the neck and shoulders, it almost felt like it's never going back. In this way I had a chance to re-evaluate my knowledge about the Method. If this can make such a difference after one session, I would absolutely recommend this Method and this particular form to people who suffer from pains which causes restriction of movements because it is effective for human performance in everyday life just as much as it is for dancing bodies.

Many Thanks to Jenny Coogan for her time and the experience given ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment