Thursday, 10 April 2014
March Entry
My lovely experience in SRT
This term, I had an amazing opportunity to do a series of 15 Skinner Releasing Technique introductory classes. 3 times a week, 5 weeks in a row, was an intensive practice of this particular technique, in comparison to my previous experience doing first 10 classes in 10 weeks period.
First of all, evaluating this practice, it was really beneficial for me considering the investigation and research I did on SRT for my dissertation, so starting this series I already had a different level of understanding, hence different approach to a given material. I could really connect to the imagery scores much quicker than I used to, and because of the intensity it felt like really layering up, because my body could easily remember and connect to the material that has been done in previous classes. Even the material from 1st term and from the few weeks of the start of second term was still present. This even appeared in my journal writing, where I mention the connections to some phrase work, and movement patterns' exploration.
Something that particularly interested me in SRT this time, was some kind of connection to my nervous system, and a very different experience of consciousness and unconsciousness. I was actually exploring the difference of it and noticing the moments when it shifts and switches. Therefore, very interestingly, I have started to learn to use conscious and subconscious once I get dancing, and letting myself be...letting myself being danced by what is awakened there at that very moment by the imagery and partner graphics, or sometimes just letting go...When you experience that subconsciouss state of mind where you are not asleep, but you are not conscious, and you know you've been hearing everything that Polly said, but can not actually remember it yourself until it is said to you again after you finish the class, makes you wonder about the ways your mind is processing the information beyond your own conscious choice..
Technically I improved in 'seeing and being seen' as well as improved my tone, presence and fuller embodiment of the movement. I also noticed an improvement in my flexibility, especially in my hip socket.
There is a little quote from my notes from one of the classes:
'I was dancing, not danced today...However, the calm in the body is just incredible in these classes. Supple feet, quietened vibrations of energy that's put into the space. That's how it takes me into a peaceful dance today...'
' You just let your inner energy come into play, let it flow with no restrictions and take you somewhere unexpected, but keep that suspension of the torso with you, making those legs so light, your whole body supported..as if you're flying just above the floor and glide around the space...and there you taken somewhere before you even know...'
The reverberations of this practice was very present in the afternoon Improvisation classes too. The group work/working with more than one partner was most significant for me in these classes, because I could really feel the differences between individuals, which made me aware of more possibilities within dance practice and performance making practice, as well as being useful for future teaching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment