Skin
Release Technique
Our
beginning of familiarizing with this particular technique was by reading some
articles about it. However, the very first impression wasn’t strong enough for
me to really understand what it is until I’ve started to explore it by moving
during the class with a cover teacher Florance. I really enjoyed it from the
very beginning, because we started laying on the floor with an image of melting
(which meaning I found more and more by exploring this technique further),
disappearing, giving up, etc. The nice thing of this is taking off all your
stress, giving for you body some time to relax. Standing on our feet and moving
the weight from side to side, moving the weight thru all foot by really soft,
articulated and slow movements I also liked as an effortless work with my body.
As we came to a wide moving and phrases I noticed how easily and effortless my
body came into that active state and became ready to work, became vital. I
found the feeling of openness, freedom, “ready to go”. I felt how I came so
light and soft as well.
Working
with Florance Peake phrases I liked the fluency of the movements and she also
explained some technical things that widen my knowledge and made my moving
easier and more fluent.
The next
time we worked with Skin Release Technique was an IPP1 class with Polly Hudson. As
always, I really enjoyed the beginning with finding the nicest places to be in
the space. Later on, we worked in pairs by releasing laying person’s body by
touching, squeezing, brushing, giving pressure on the flat spaces of the body
like shoulders or hips, rotating joints, etc.
or even placing hands on the body. It is interesting, that even only
placing hands can release by reminding that particular place of body and by
warmth. It also helps to find a breath, notice small things happening in your
body. As I was laying, it was really impressive for me, because even I felt
tired before the class, by this exercise my body and mind came into some
strange and interesting state between sleeping and being awake. And when my
partner Alex tried to take me on my feet to have a walk in that released state,
he found it quite difficult and he even needed Polly’s help to do that because
I didn’t hear the instructions that we are going to come on our feet so I came
back on the floor several times until they finally took me up. And then, when
Alex took me for a walk with my eyes closed I felt something that I have never
felt before, like I was walking somewhere out of space, imagined some walking
on the clouds or something. Only things Alex gave me to touch like curtains,
wall or pen gave me the feeling of reality.
Another
thing to mention, is when I was leading Alex and releasing his body, I found
interesting noticing how human body gets released. I mean it is visible in some
way. It becomes so soft. As a feedback, me and Alex decided, that it was better
for me to be the second one who was leading, because I already knew how much
pressure I should give in different places of the body or how to touch.

Warmth
At the same
day, we had another class with Polly, and during it I went into that
interesting state between sleeping and being awake again. I am not sure, but it
is a possibility that I fell asleep for a moment this time. This time I have
tried to notice my breath more, soft tissues of my body, especially fingertips
and the power in releasing of it. I took a very little drawing after this class
which somehow shows my feeling and understanding of this technique and the
feeling of melting.
We also
explored the feeling of space, the awareness by noticing that somehow our body
feels and reacts if somebody is coming behind you, even couldn’t hear or see
it. It shows how powerful our sensations are.
SPONGY Skin Releasing class with Polly
We worked
imagining our body being spongy, spongy tissues; in my minds varied different
images of my “spongy” parts of body, spongy parts of bones, spongy bones as a
whole, spongy muscles, spongy moving, etc. It made me moving so soft and effortless,
however, it felt like my body was ready to move, warm enough.
These pictures are taken from my artist journal, my reflections and first thoughts about this class and my feelings, the images that came into my head .

As we moved
with an image of river, I really could imagine the river, especially
witnessing, watching other people moving. In my opinion, the floating, wide,
continuous moving thru the space at the same level made this image so similar
to the river. It was so playful, sensitive, delicate, vital, childish adorable,
free. It was like a fly. It was so refreshing and this exercise had a color in
my minds – blue. So this is a picture from my artist journal about that. And
some other pictures I found in the internet, which shows what I imagine
somehow, in some way.

A little,
but important notice about alignment and posture, that we noticed during the
same class with Polly. This is about a shape located from the bottom of upper
back to the knees, or even lower. Polly compare it to horse back shape, which
made a clearer image for me. It is like similarities of the tails between human
and animals and about releasing it. Working in pairs we released this space by
brushing down using the back of hands (I think we used the back of hands to
avoid any intimate associations or just to make receiver feel more comfortable)
at the same time as receiver rolls down and back upwards. It was amazing
technical notice for me, because feeling the edge of your back and a shape of
it rolling helps to find how to do that correctly, to keep a right position, position
of pelvic at the same line as heels and not giving weight to much backwards.
My further
thoughts and questions, things to explore are about what is happening in your
body keeping practicing, noticing how different people take that technique,
thinking about the reasons why it can be something really challenging or
unfamiliar for the others; how this somatic practice can be used having
injuries, if it affects healing, etc.






No comments:
Post a Comment