Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Disabilities in Dance

Today, during the session with Amy Voris and Andrea Barzey we had a discussion about the disabilities in relation to dance. We had two good examples in our group, one person from our group who has some not physically seen disability, and another one was girl 3rd year student of Dance in our university. First of all, I think it is really useful for all of us to discuss these things, especially when we have in any way disabled people around us. It is needful to know each other as much as possible so we could find solutions, support each other and work things out. It is useful for us as a humans as well, the humanity and tolerance is also something to learn. It also give us some knowledge in order to be better teachers in the future, the knowledge that we can adapt in so many situation we can probably meet up in the future, because some of the disabilities signs can be understood as a hightened problems that everyone can face sometimes, independently if person is disabled or not; it make us more attentive, able and ready to cope with it. Finally, it make us more sensitive and patient.

Another really good reason to know these things is for us as an artists. Having some thoughts about how these people cope with problems and adapt, looking for another possibilities they find in order to get the same result was really interesting. Especially watching this. As a proof we had some exercises that we did following instructions that gave the person who lives with this everyday - we tried to work only trying to use one side of the body, as less as possible including another one. It was something nice in noticing particular body parts in our own bodies, specifications of it. It also give some extra thoughts about things we might not always notice, like where the movements are initiated from, or how we can change shape of movement having the same prospect. I think it is also a work to think or notice:

- our own strong and weak sides or parts of the body;
- about what is acceptable for us;
- where are our limits;
- how we can deal with problems made by circumstances (for ex. - mood, physical state (like tiredness), feelings,etc.)
- what and how do we feel about touch; what are the limits of it; when it becomes too intimate;
- our own space need; how it changes depending on a day or particular time;
- our body as a unique creation;
- distinctiveness;

General thoughts; Body Story
Being a bit selfish and thinking about my own feelings, reactions and my own journey, I had some general thoughts about that (however sometimes being selfish on purpose when you are studying is not so bad thing, we all need to experience and find things in our own bodies to be able to understand the others). So thinking about my own journey, I think I am still looking for my weak and strong sides and parts of body, even I noticed that the right side is usually leading a bit or initiating from (especially when I do turns); I find myself usually quite brave and open in trying new things even it can be quite dangerous; however I need some personal space, but it's more about my mind space (it's still probably about my distrust of my English, and I think I need some time things to make sense), I find a very little of limits thinking about touch when we are working, because I get them as a way to experience and support rather than something intimate - it is better when other people feel the same and touch me being confident of what they are doing; I find myself a little dependent on mood or other circumstances, maybe because it is because it's too much going on; I am still thinking about the distinctiveness of myself and my body;
However, I can see some really big change in my journey - in the past (including last months) I was really taking everything so kind of wide, I was trying to get as much as possible not necessarily thinking how much sense it actually make, a simple example - my movements - it was usually so wide, high, I was trying to learn as much as possible in any quickest way, not even thinking of possible injuries; I was like trying to reach higher and higher growing apples from the tree not focusing on an actual taste of the one's I can reach without much efforts. And now I catch myself more and more focusing on less, getting deeper in a smaller things, exploring small movements. Now for me THE LESS IS MORE. And I really enjoy it because I think it makes me stronger in so many ways. So this time working thinking about disabilities I worked with a "LESS IS MORE" idea. Somatic practices and wake up sessions really support me working with that!!! So I find it a way to cope with stress as well, and a better quality in my whole studying.

By the way, at the moment I think I wouldn't be ready to teach disabled people, I think it is because I need to do some findings in myself before, to study more, probably my own state is not ready to do that yet. And I am quite impatient. However, I don't mind and it is useful when some disabled people are around when I am studying, and working with them also give so much for both of us (even I am not actually distributing people into able or disabled groups). It is even quite encouraging and inspiring, it can sometimes be like a stimulus point when we struggle somewhere or get lazy or lost, giving up. If these people can do, why can't I?

I think we all are disabled sometimes or somehow, so we have not that big difference from people who actually are, it's just probably the different amount of help, support, time or other needs are needed to cope with things.
At  the end of the day, it is important what we improved, developed or reached for ourselves, what limits we exceed in our own life rather that being better than someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment