Technique class with Oscar Scott
Body Centre
We had a very intensive class with Oscar, working with body centre, center power. We did different exercises and phrases, mostly very dynamic ones, in order to release the pelvic area and feel the central power of the body as much as working with the core stability and balance. Squats and lengthening the limbs, forcing the pelvic as an impulse of movement/ letting pelvic lead rather than limbs give the sense of ground but also gives the potential and energy for active moving. You feel more stabil and balanced but also makes phrases more smooth and energetic. Mastering using your body center make movements much more effortless, soft, fluent, but not too tender. It is very helpful dancing at all levels, give a lot of power for wide, energetic, fast, 'air-level' movements.
Even I felt a lack of technical details given of some particular movements and phrases, it was a lot of fun and really intensive. Anyway, really quick speed of his teaching I could find beneficial in a way of getting slighly different experience of learning, it keeps you perceptive, focused and keeps your body warm and continually active. Intensiveness also somehow releases some unnecesarry tensions in the body, as body becomes a bit too tired to keep being too tensed; makes movements somehow easier to get into, because the lack of technical details given take off the confussion and too much thinking about what you are doing and rather let your body work it through itself.
I liked the feeling of being very free and active at the end of the session even I was very tired. I also felt inspired and using that different quality of moving complemented by inspiring music improvised using very spacious, energetic movements in all levels.
It was very interesting and beneficial to work with this person, but I am not sure if the speed he uses and lack of technical information would work for me as much if we had him all the time. Here come questioning myself what works best for me. At this moment I think more detailed information is required for my body, but little change and range of different learning ways is also good. It can also be a bit related to my body not being prepared enough for that intensive practice yet, after the summer when I didn't do a lot physical.
No comments:
Post a Comment