Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Performance IPP2; answering the questions; Behind the Mask

There are some thoughts and answering to questions that Julia McCaughley suggested me to thing about. As I saw her IPP2 work "Behing the Mask" yesterday, and a discussion about this, I had the impulse to think about perfection, hiding.
Julia's work I found really interesting. The most I liked that it was so clear and obvious what she wanted to show, what she meant audience to see. I liked the place she performed - the remote location, cement made some pureness', deepness' sense. The small space and the way performer was surrounded by audience revealed the deepness and relation to society. It also made a sense of feeling, emotions related to hiding and imitating the perfection, and so much other possible personal feelings.

What is perfection for me?

I have double-sided understanding and opinion about perfection. The word "perfection" itself has some fake meaning, because it is natural to notice that nothing actually is perfect in the world, we can always find something to pick against. Also, in my opinion and experience, nothing make things more perfect than accepting and dealing with disadvantages or imperfections and aspiration to change or deal with it. As an example I could use people we love, because when we love we idealize the person and accept their defects, weaknesses or imperfection. I think perfection is much related to approach.

I notice myself hiding something I don't want to public or other people to notice. However, I think it is about security or keeping privacy. Sometimes I just feel that there is no need for the other's to see my weaknesses or imperfection, it is about having own space. Hiding is also about how we want to be seen of the others.
However, all the hiding and understanding about perfection depends on approach, whatever reasons and influences form it.
The ways of breaking it depends on surroundings, circumstances, people arround mostly. Finding the things, spaces, activities where you feel comfortable, accepted, able to express yourself is the main need to become more self-confident, to accept imperfection you have. Maybe as soon as you change approach to things you admit as imperfect, this feeling would dissapear?
I find dance and theatre practice as a step towards recognising, noticing or breaking my own imperfect admits.

No comments:

Post a Comment