Watchable State ; Being Still
We explored the watchable state at Katye Coe's class doing some exercises/games. The contact with someone else's attention, staring or not, made me feel comfortable, because I felt comfortable of who I am, didn't worry about someone's judgments. I just didn't matter. However I noticed, that when you know to be seen, you try to be in a present state, try to look neutral, but still nice, sometimes you try to hide emotions, feel more focused, care about the look from side - "look" at yourself from side, basically, try to look as you want to be seen.
But when my voice was included in that watchable state, I didn't felt that comfortable, because I worried about my English and others' judgement for strange dialect or accent. I worried about spelling someone's name incorrectly, but it was okay. As I was the last person doing this in our line, and the other line was already finished, I felt interesting, because I realized to be seen of both lines - in front of me, and behind me. It was strange, but I kinda liked it, felt okay being in the middle of whole room attention. I felt I can deal with that.
The feelings we explored is just the first step I think, because it can change hundred times in different situations. By the way, it was quite easy to relax this time, because we all know each other, we all do the same, and we trust each other, which is really palliative factor.
After this session, I always notice how people change, when they hear "come into your watchable state", they kind of become responsible and careful about how they look like. I find it really professional, because we have to know how to get focused on what we are doing, to be conscious, considering that coming into watchable state is the first thing we do at the beginning of any performance.
I think this is so important to keep exploring watchable state, feelings of being seen, especially being still, when there's nothing and nowhere to hide. It is important skill for every artist to develop, and even every human, in order to become self-confident.
No comments:
Post a Comment